Christmas Lights Safety Tips
Seasonal decorations, including lights, trees and wreaths, can help put your household in the holiday spirit. However, when not used properly, decorations can create safety hazards or cause fires. Follow this Holiday light safety check list to make sure your holiday lights are safe this holiday season.
- Inspect your light strings to make sure that there are not any damaged, frayed, or cracked electrical cords. Also, be sure to check to make sure there are not any broken sockets because broken sockets can lead to fires.
- Check to see if all lights are working properly, if not be sure to replace any burned out light bulbs. Leaving empty sockets on a string of lights can cause the whole string to overheat.
- Make sure to check that any lights or extension cords that are going outside are safe to use outside. They need to be weather resistant.
- When hanging lights only use approved hangers. Do not use staples or nails, they can cut through the wire insulation and cause a fire.
- Do not keep lights hanging outside for too long. Having lights hanging outside for too long can cause a safety hazard due to weather damage.
If you do happen to experience any Christmas lights disasters, be sure to call SERVPRO of Lombard/Addison as we are always here to help.