The Silent Killer
Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer because it is a gas that you can't see. According to the CDC each year 20,000 people visit the emergency room, 4,000 are hospitalized, and 400 Americans die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs mostly in the winter time because as we burn fuels to heat our house, these fuels give off carbon monoxide. Not having and maintaining proper appliances in your house can cause a carbon monoxide build up in your home. Buying and maintaining a carbon monoxide detector in your home can help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Replace and the batteries in your detector once and year and make sure your detector work once a month. Learning to operate appliances safely is another big prevention tip. Never run a generator in your home or garage because the generator does not get the proper ventilation it needs, even opening up the windows and doors will not prevent carbon monoxide build up. When using a generator the safest place for it is outside.